Saturday, September 5, 2015

Happy Teacher's Day, Miss Lumena

If I can credit someone with changing the course of my life, it’s Miss Lumena, my 10th Standard English teacher.

I think she barely noticed me in class during the first term, and I too didn’t do much to attract her attention.

At the beginning of the second term, we were given our corrected exam sheets of the previous term to inspect. We were supposed to go through them, point out errors by the teachers like an answer marked incorrectly, or a totalling mistake, or an answer left unmarked, and get them rectified.

As I went through my English exam sheet, I noticed a note in the margins of the essay I had written: “This deserves to be published in the school magazine.”

My instinctive reaction was to leave it at that; I didn’t think it was such a great essay.

But something in me made me go up to her and ask her about that note in the margins.

She began to notice me after that. Invariably, I would be made to read out what I’d written in class – compositions, essays, even answers to the questions at the end of the text.

Eventually, the term was up. The preliminary exams ended, and before we took a month’s study leave to prepare for the Board exams, we had an Open Day for parents and students to meet teachers and discuss our strengths and weaknesses in their subjects.

When I went to meet Miss Lumena, our conversation turned to what I planned to do after school. “Engineering,” was my pat reply.  Till then, if you asked me what I wanted to do in life, the reply was always engineering. I loved Maths, and my role models – my maternal uncle and an older cousin – were both engineers.

“But you should do journalism,” she said. “You write so well.”

The idea appealed to me. I broached it to my parents. “Nothing doing,” said my mother, “journalists get killed.” I was given a choice of four streams to make a career in – Medicine, Engineering, Chartered Accountancy and Law. I chose Engineering.

But the thought that I could make writing a career had been planted in my head.

Happy Teacher’s Day, Miss Lumena, wherever you are.

(Illustration of Miss Lumena by a fellow student of hers – Anil Damodaran)


No comments: